November is here, and the holidays are upon us again…can you believe it? I admit that my Santa & reindeer spirit isn’t twinkly until after my jack-o-lantern is gone, the Halloween candy is consumed and my superhero costumes are snug in storage boxes again (no I don’t wear a cape year-round, although I wouldn’t mind….that would be way hipper than a coat!). And so, having met those qualifications, I find myself excited about all the merriment to be had in Arlington this season, a world of holiday wonderful! Mark your calendars now for the following activities for all ages and get ready to be filled with the joyous Spirit of Arlington:
- Texas Christkindl Market: An Arlington favorite, the Texas Christkindl Market, November 23-December 23, is now a cozier version at The Plaza at Texas Live!. This free, family-friendly market, inspired by a cherished German tradition, features holiday gifts, decorations, and other festive goods. Holiday shoppers will find exclusive Käthe Wohlfahrt Christmas decorations and designs from the renowned Rothenburg ob der Tauber Christmas Village in Germany. I’m excited about the new location too, right next to Texas Live! so I can grab my beloved Cauliflower Wings at Miller Tavern in between shopping sessions. That’s Christmas-y, right?
- Six Flags Over Texas Holiday in the Park: Holiday in the Park is back for select days from November 17-December 30 at Six Flags Over Texas. It's a magical time, filled with delightful experiences that will help create those special family fun outings again and again. I love strolling through the winter wonderland of extravagantly decorated trees and delicious hot cocoa (who doesn’t love that). For those that feel a need for some zip, they can slide down a snow hill that is specially-made for the event.
- Enchant Arlington: Back by popular demand, Enchant Christmas, November 23, 2018 to December 30, will illuminate North Texas skies with its World’s Largest Christmas Light Maze & Market. Last year, more than 250,000 people unwrapped a new holiday tradition at the most scenic wonderland in Texas, and I was one of them! This place is a selfie-lover’s paradise, with every shot looking more dazzling than the last. This year, I’m even more excited since the family tradition will move inside Arlington’s Globe Life Park, with a new heart-warming theme and an updated light maze adventure.
- The Lights at Interlochen: Known as the best neighborhood light show in Texas, the Interlochen lights are iconic around here. From December 14 thru Christmas night put on Christmas radio stations 102.1 FM or 98.7 FM and cruise around the neighborhood to pick out your favorites. I’d get here early if I were you, because this is one of the busiest spots in the DFW Metroplex during the holiday season.
- Arlington Holiday Lights Parade: Arlington Holiday Lights Parade: Stop by Arlington’s Downtown/University District to enjoy the Annual Holiday Lights Parade on Saturday, December 8. Thousands of people will gather for the pageantry, which ends with the lighting of the Christmas tree. My friends usually aim to set up “camp” along the parade route to enjoy hot chocolate and quality time together. Don’t forget to bring your camera and take a picture with Santa before the parade from 2 pm - 4 pm at the George W. Hawkes Library, 100 S Center St, 76010.
- Arlington Music Hall’s Spectacular Christmas: One of Arlington’s newest traditions, the Arlington Music Hall’s Spectacular Christmas, multiple dates in December, showcases sensational singers, dynamic dancers, charming children, a kick-line of lovely young ladies, colorful costumes, sparkling special effects and tops it off with a visit from Santa himself! Don’t miss the Texas talent on display in a beautiful holiday show at the historic landmark Arlington Music Hall.
- Miracle on 34th Street at Theatre Arlington: I will see one of my favorite holiday classics come to life at Theatre Arlington November 30 – December 16. Bring the whole family to enjoy the beloved play!
- Arlington Music Hall’s Symphony Arlington: One of my favorite traditions is attending our Symphony’s sing-a-long for Christmas carols. This year’s event will be even better now that the Arlington Music Hall has been renovated. In addition to the holiday standards, the symphony will also play VAUGHAN WILLIAMS Fantasia on Greensleeves, BERLIN White Christmas and LIVINGSTON Silver Bells.
- Wine 101: Give Thanks to Wine at Globe Life Park: Enough said…I’m in! However, in case you need convincing, this Wine Down Wednesday at the ballpark, November 14, is perfect for wine lovers and those that are new to the wine world. Attendees will leave with an expanded vocabulary and understanding of wine groups and flavor profiles. There is another class called Big Red & Bubbles on December 12.
For Local Holiday Shopping:
- Decorator’s Warehouse Arlington: Decorator’s Warehouse Arlington is the largest Christmas store in Texas and one of the largest in the world. Plus it’s also where I get pumpkin bread sandwiches at the Rose Garden Tea Room! If this doesn’t sound exciting to you, all I can say is you haven’t tried them yet. Anyways, this Christmas wonderland features more than an acre of beautiful Christmas décor and amazing displays. A visit here is like Christmas heaven—where you can fill your cup of holiday cheer with candy canes, gingerbread houses, lights and snowmen—and where people and families can celebrate the season.
- Gene Allen’s Gifts: Gene Allen’s Gifts is located just a few blocks from AT&T Stadium & Texas Rangers Globe Life Park. Winner of “Best Gift Shop in DFW” every year since 2010, you’ll find special gifts and cards for everyone at their beautifully-merchandised store that’s over 10,000 sq. feet. Be sure to sample their homemade chocolate fudge in the shape of Texas!
Look for a variety of events, including Thanksgiving brunch at restaurant506, holiday pop-up markets in downtown, Santa’s Toy Factory at The Parks at Arlington, plus new year’s eve celebrations at Melting Pot and Texas Live! It will be a beautiful season for affordable fun and priceless memories, so get the full lineup of events now. Get into the Spirit of Arlington this season!