Everything’s bigger in Texas, and that includes the savings offered from our sales tax holiday. But be warned, it’s a jungle out there! Be clever if you want to hunt the best deals like true predators. Arm yourselves with these suggestions to lure out the best savings:
- More bang for the buck –To get your attention, many stores will have sales in addition to the tax free savings. Take time to compare online prices for big-ticket items at different stores to develop a strategic shopping-day hunting route.
- Don’t like surprises? - Don’t wait for your receipt to see if you have been taxed. Know exactly what to buy in order to keep maximum jingle in your pocket (see links below).
- Make a list, check it twice - Keep a list of approved items handy to reference if you want to be sure.
- (http://comptroller.texas.gov/taxinfo/taxpubs/taxholiday/d/tx98_490_clothing.html) backpacks, and other school supplies
- http://comptroller.texas.gov/taxinfo/taxpubs/taxholiday/d/tx98_490_sch_sup.html) priced at $100 or less.
- Baby, you’re the greatest – New parents will be happy that baby clothing and diapers are included.
- Get on track – Jogging apparel, shirts, shorts, and tennis shoes are included, so go on…freshen up your outdated gym wear. It’s never too late to start your new year’s resolution!
- Don’t stay away…lay-away – If you are short on cash, not to worry. Lay-away plans can be used to take advantage of during the sales tax holiday. Place items on layaway OR make the final payment during the holiday.
- No services - The sales tax holiday exemption does not extend to alteration, embroidery, cleaning or other “services” performed on clothes and shoes.
- Important exclusions - Note that some desired back to school items, totaling more than $100 are still subject to sales tax: laptops, computer bags, textbooks, smartphones, and electronic readers.
- Shop local – In addition to the one-stop shopping places like Parks Mall at Arlington, Lincoln Square, Arlington Highlands or Grand Prairie Premium Outlets, consider local stores, like Gracie Lane, Gene Allen’s Gifts or Majestic Grand Slam Gift Shop (Texas Rangers gift shop in Globe Life Park), to find special promotions, unique, Texas items and more.
We hope to see you on the prowl in Arlington, August 7-9. Wear your comfy shoes and arm yourself with these helpful tips to save big bucks on your Arlington Tax Free Weekend hunt! Find an all-inclusive list of tax-exempt goods and school supplies at the Texas Comptroller’s website.
- Check out some of our favorite shopping options
- Make it a weekend with one of our vacation packages
- Arlington's Favorite Eats & Drinks
- Things to do