Employment Opportunities & Internships
Our Core Values are We Own It! We Lead! We Win! We Celebrate! Want to join us?
Arlington Tourism Public Improvement District, Inc. (TPID)
JOB TITLE: TPID Accounting Assistant
Exempt (Y/N): No - Hourly
SUPERVISOR: SVP – Finance & Administration
PREPARED BY: SVP – Finance & Administration DATE: 2/2020
APPROVED BY: President/CEO
SUMMARY: Under general direction, provides primary support to SVP-Finance & Administration, as well as occasional support to various departments to provide data, ensuring the smooth flow of work. Duties include all approved aspects of the Tourism & Public Improvement District (TPID) accounting data-entry processes, some administrative assistant-type responsibilities possible, temporary relief to the incoming phone calls possible, and occasional receptionist-related responsibilities to guests coming into the Convention & Visitor’s corporate offices if receptionist is away from their desk. There might be some backing up of the SVP-Finance & Administration reporting duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; compliance with employee handbook also required. Other duties may be assigned.
Accounting: Duties may include the following assignments (with assistance of the SVP-Finance and Administration) in various areas with the accounting portion using Quickbooks Desktop – Professional, not Quickbooks On-line):
- Accounts Payable – data entry of invoices into the accounting system, updating current vendors information changes, requesting IRS-related forms from new vendors (W9’s), report preparation and process for check printing, possible annual report preparation and filing.
- Invoicing – preparation of invoices to be sent to customers, maintenance and recordkeeping of invoices sent and funds received using both MS EXCEL and MS Word and filing. These items are eventually be loaded and maintained into the accounting system.
- Deposits – preparation of funds received, endorsements, recordkeeping, data input and filing.
- General Ledger – data input of monthly entries into the accounting general ledger system, data input of semi-monthly payroll, credit card and bank statement entries to be entered into system, addition of new accounts and deletion of unused accounts, and many other not listed here.
- Credit card - American Express (AmEx) statement receipt preparation including copying statements and distributing to each (card-holding) staff member, recording all entries received from staff members on credit card system (Nexonia) and balancing to ensure correct entry, loading data into GL system, verify approval for entries that meet certain criteria, verify receipts are included from each staff members statement received and all data and explanations are reasonable and accurate.
- Reports – printout and review of Statement of Financial Position (Balance Sheet) and Statement of Activities (Income Statement) on a monthly and quarterly basis, or as needed. In addition, print out and review of Budget-related reports during budget preparation period.
- Audit – gathers any check support or data requested by Financial Auditors from CPA firm during annual audit review. Includes gather and organization of data for annual reporting, i.e., Form 990, Form 5500.
- IRS and other entity reporting – gather and organization of data needed by various other entities as requested, such as bureau information requested by the IRS, TACVB, Whitney Smith, DMAI, or any other approved entity.
- Inventory – Will assist the SVP in maintaining inventory records and data that would be maintain in the QuickBooks or MS EXCEL systems.
- Other – any other duties requested, including filing, organization, delivery and approved by the SVP-Finance & Administration, or President/CEO.
- Act as backup for the Arlington CVB’s Accounting Assistant in long-term absences (due to illness, vacations, etc.).
- Possibly present financials to the Board of Directors at board meetings in the absence of the SVP (due to illness, vacations, etc.). In these situations, this person would also prepare the financials using a slightly, more friendly form for the board members.
- Commit to fostering the ACVB TEAM first environment and our culture, by following our core values: we own it (commitment), we lead (Strategic), we win (Results-Driven) and we celebrate (Passionate).
Switchboard Duties – In the absence of the Human Resource Specialist, there may be times this position would answer an occasional switchboard call and transferring the phone calls to the appropriate department. This duty is shared by everyone in the department at that time.
Receptionist Duties – Again, in the absence of the Human Resources Specialist, this position may have to share in the duties welcoming clients and guests coming up to the Corporate Offices. In addition, after determining whom the client/guest would like to see, contact the appropriate employee to alert them of the client/guest arriving. This position must be a “team player” as they may have requests from several areas.
No supervisory responsibilities associated with this position.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must have accounting experience in all the areas listed above to the point where they understand “why” an entry is made and “where”, not just “how” to make the entry, in other words, the applicant needs to have an intermediate knowledge of accounting. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
COMPUTER RELATED SKILLS / EXPERIENCE:
Must have MS Office, MS Word and MS EXCEL beginning to intermediate -level experience is required and anything above would be considered a “plus”. Our accounting software is QuickBooks Desktop Professional for Accountants – it is not Quickbooks On-line. Previous software package is ACCPAC-Sage Pro accounting software. QuickBooks knowledge and experience is required and ACCPAC-Sage Pro would be considered a “plus”, as would other accounting software packages.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Four-year College degree in Accounting required with beginning and intermediate level accounting courses is required. CPA degree not required but would be a “plus”, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents and manuals. Ability to communicate, both in person and by telephone, effectively to customers, vendors or employees of organization. A common second language, both in speech and writing, such as Spanish, would be considered a “plus”.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate and percent. A calculator is provided.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Possession of a valid Texas Operator's License, Class C. Travel is very little, local and never overnight.
An occasional event / festival (maybe two a year) might require the applicant’s assistance in the evening at the festival. This is a new responsibility with the Bureau and not certain but will be discussed with the applicant ahead of time to determine their ability to work this into their personal schedule (paid, not volunteer).
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee is frequently required to lift or move up to 20 lbs.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested persons should send a resume and cover letter to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.