Ahhh burgers. Arguably America’s favorite food. I heard that McDonald’s globally sells 75 hamburgers per second! Burgers are equal parts delicious and adaptable, which makes them just as suited for drive-through as they are for hole-in-the-wall diners, sporting events and high-end restaurants. With all the fanfare, it’s no wonder we have a whole day dedicated to these succulent sandwiches….happy National Burger Day. So the question is how do you take yours? With mayo, ketchup and cheddar cheese? Or with goat cheese, fig jam and arugula? Or perhaps you don’t care, as long as it’s meatless? Whether you like yours basic or boojee, all can achieve burger nirvana in Arlington. Here are some excellent options to investigate:
• Social House, Buffalo Burger – The unique burgers are always fun at Social House. The Buffalo Burger is Chimay White Ground buffalo burger with caramelized onions, lettuce, & white cheddar cheese & fried egg. If that doesn’t ring your bell, ask for The Sink Burger with 100% Black Angus Beef, 3 cheeses (American, white cheddar & Swiss), pulled pork & fried onion strings. Start with my favorite appetizer, Tomato Bruschetta with Basil Pesto!
• Hamburger, J Gilligan’s Bar & Grill – I dig this place! The only thing better than the food is the owner, Randy, who always greets customers with a gregarious smile. The hamburger is 100% quality beef that is ground fresh daily. It is delicious for sure, BUT no one will judge you if you enjoy the original Irish Nachos (as in like they were invented there) immediately and save the burger for later.
• Triple B Burger, BoomerJack’s Grill & Bar - Beef! Bacon! Brisket! Is everyone paying attention now? Get the triple crown of meat on your Triple B Burger. Or how about bleu cheese crumbles, bacon, chipotle mayonnaise and hand battered onion strings? BoomerJack’s also features a made to order Beyond Burger for those seeking the veggie variety. Save room for homemade banana pudding for dessert!
• Black Angus Burger, restaurant506 – In addition to being an elegant bed & breakfast with a spa, the Sanford House features a first-class bar (Van Gogh Lounge) and restaurant (restaurant506) with a signature burger to boot. Bite into black angus beef, applewood smoked bacon, gruyere cheese, lettuce, caramelized onions, lettuce, brioche bun, and tomatoes. And don’t skimp on the house-made chips! So if you intend to celebrate burger day with a pedi and a cocktail too, you’re welcome.
Meatless: Becoming more of herbivore opens you to a world of new flavors and options never experienced. And as restaurants are embracing this trend too, you’ll have more deliciousness than ever before! Here are some meatless burgers that I would highly recommend:
• Meatless Portabella Mushroom Burger, Toms Burgers & Grill – Are you ready to put the FUN in fungi? How about delicious Portabella Mushrooms Marinated in Spices, Balsamic and Olive Oil, and provolone cheese. Best of all, you can start your meal with beer battered Crispy Creamy Avocado Slices, which are house made and served with special dipping sauce. And how about a Texas Funnel Cake for dessert?
• Vegabond, Twisted Root – One of the coolest features of the place is the Pickle Bar, so forget about classic dill for a day to enjoy funky flavors like wasabi, ranch and sweet & spicy. If you really want to start your meal with a bang, load up on atomic pickles. Then enjoy a house made patty with chickpea, black bean, brown rice & quinoa with sliced avocado & sriracha on wheat. And for a unique side item, try the fried green beans n' carrots. I personally drool over their hand cut potato chips with Ranch dressing.
• BBQ Burger, Loving Hut - This entire place is vegan, so feel free to get the nachos or the chili for a pre-game. You can even score a vegan BLT! But the main attraction is a hearty burger, on a whole wheat burger bun, featuring grilled seitan strips slathered in BBQ sauce, homemade vegenaise. Throw on some crisp lettuce, tomatoes, vegan cheese, and red onions to complete the experience.
• Beyond Burger, Burgerfi – Beyond Burger is definitely one of the darlings of the veggie burger world right now, and you can have their 100% plant-based patties with American cheese and all the fixins. Or, you can opt for the Crispy Quinoa + Fresh-Cut Veggie Burger with white cheddar and BurgerFi Sauce on a vegan multigrain bun. Or get it green style!
No matter where you decide to dine, Happy Burger Day to all!!
NOTE: Please contact the individual restaurants for hours and takeout policies and such.